Everything You Need to Know About Double Eyelid Surgery (Plus the A-Listers Who Tried and Loved It)
Many would argue that sight is the most important among the senses. We use our eyes to navigate from one point to another, to carry out tasks, to read and write, and to interact with other people. Without sight, it would be very difficult to manage our day-to-day lives. To some people, the eyes even hold a value greater than providing sight. The eyes become a significant defining factor for beauty and attractiveness; the bigger and brighter a person’s eyes are, the more beautiful and desirable he or she is. This perception is common across cultures and races, and for a majority of the Southeast Asian population with the round, slanted monolids with deep eyelid folds, the odds are clearly not in our favour.
It is a good thing that science has enabled us to continuously advance in the field of cosmetic surgery, as there are now different procedures available to those who want to achieve their ideal eye size and shape. Double eyelid surgery in Singapore is a popular option. As the name suggests, this procedure creates a set of double eyelids for monolid individuals. It is also used to define faint eyelid creases and eliminate multiple eyelid folds. People with hidden eyelid creases can also benefit from the procedure as it exposes the hidden eyelid area and corrects the uneven height of creases on the eyelids.
From one perspective, the eyelid is nothing more than a minuscule fold above the eye. It is regarded by some as ‘barely noticeable’ or ‘hardly significant’ but the truth is, a lot of people are willing to go to great lengths just to create the illusion of that very fold. Take a good look at the before-and-after pictures of some of the most famous names in show business today: Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lawrence, Taylor Swift, Kylie Jenner, Selena Gomez, Megan Fox. These are Hollywood stars in the top ladder of the entertainment world, born with naturally big and beautiful eyes, but still, they opted to enhance the size and shape of their eyes, in one way or another. The effects of double eyelid surgery are subtle but it is certainly there and it changes not just their look but also their careers.
With the help of Allure, an innovative day surgery centre in Singapore, we will provide you with all the details you need to know about double eyelid surgery: methods involved, risks, aftercare instructions, and a couple of tips on how to take care of your eyes!
Types of Double Eyelid Surgery
There are two types of double eyelid surgery in Singapore:
- Cutting. This procedure is more preferred as it produces a ‘natural’ effect. It is performed by creating incisions along the eyelid to remove any excess muscle, fat, and skin. This type of surgery also allows the doctor to increase the size of the eyes and enhance their shape.
- Stitching. In this procedure, six sutures are placed in each eyelid through four tiny holes to bond the tissue underneath to the eyelid skin.
If you want to know which the best method is for you, contact the Allure clinic.
Before and During the Procedure
- The first step in a double eyelid surgery involves taking measurements and marking the area on the upper eyelid to identify the exact position where the double eyelid will appear. You can request for a simulation with your doctor to check how the double eyelids would look on your face when the procedure is done.
- After making sure that everything is symmetrical, you will be properly sedated. The doctor will then use the cutting or stitching method, depending on what you have agreed upon before the procedure.
The required healing time depends on the type of double eyelid surgery method that you have chosen.
- If you opted for cutting, you must be prepared for one to two months downtime. The swelling will recede after two to three weeks, the wound is expected to heal after five days, and the bruising will be gone in about two week’s time.
- Stitching, on the other hand, requires two to ten days of downtime.
Double eyelid surgery in Singapore is not considered as high-risk but it also involves certain medical complications such infection, bleeding, and in rare cases, vision problems. From an aesthetic standpoint, asymmetry is the main issue for some. Therefore it is extremely important to seek the help of trained professionals before you undergo anybody enhancement procedure. The chances of contacting medical and aesthetic risks are lessened when your doctor is competent and highly experienced. If you want the best team to look after you, visit the Allure clinic now and we will make sure that your standards are not just met but also exceeded.
You need to follow the steps below to promote proper healing after the surgery:
- Use a cold compress to reduce the swelling in the eye area.
- As much as possible, avoid any activity that tends to dry your eyes, such as wearing contact lenses, reading, or watching television.
- Do not lift heavy objects.
- Do not bend over.
- If you have to get out of the house, wear a pair of dark-tinted eyeglasses to protect your eyes from the sun, wind, and dust. This will prevent any irritation or possible infections.
General Eyecare Tips for Healthy Eyes
Taking care of your eyes should always be a priority, whether you get a double eyelid surgery or not. The eyes are vital parts of the body and should receive the utmost care and protection they deserve.
- Eat a balanced diet. Essential nutrients such as lutein, zinc, Vitamins E and C and omega-3 fatty acids help prevent a variety of vision problems, so make sure that you stock up your plate with green, leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, oily fish, and non-meat protein sources like nuts, eggs and beans.
- Wear eye protection. Too much exposure to UV rays is bad for the eyes. You need to invest in a good pair of sunglasses (or contact lenses) that can block 99 to 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
- Rest your eyes. Looking into your phone or computer screen causes blurry vision, dry eyes, eye strain, and headaches. To avoid these problems, you must follow the 20-20-20 rule: rest your eyes every twenty minutes by looking twenty feet away for twenty seconds.
Allure Plastic Surgery
435 Orchard Rd, #22-04 Wisma Atria,
+65 6734 9988